Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My Newest Hobby is Baseball

Chatting with a friend this morning and we were talking about the difference between a hobby and a vocation.

I used to put Writing as an interest, as a hobby in online profiles. Also gardening. And singing.

The thing is, I don't really garden or sing. But I do write and it's not a hobby. It's a calling and whether I earn any money or not from it, it's what I love to do.

Singing and gardening are things that I like doing, but I don't really invest time and effort into them.

But I do have a hobby. It developed in 2014 as the the Kansas City Royals swept the competition to take the American League Championship.  First of all, my son got to go to a few games and then he watched on TV. So I got drawn into this as well. So did my husband.


I am not a sportsball person.

Well, I wasn't. The loss of the World Series made us grieve, but not give up. And when the season was over, I read everything I could, to try to catch myself up to baseball and the Royals especially.

For my birthday this year, I received a t-shirt with Lorenzo Cain's player number (6, in case you wondered), a couple of baseball books. One is the excellent 101 Baseball Places to See Before You Strike Out, by Josh Pahigian. The other is 100 Years of Who's Who in Baseball. created to celebrate the 100th issue of the iconic magazine.

Thank goodness my family asked before they bought them, but I already had Legacy of Blue and 100 Things Royals Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die.

I also joined a fan group on Facebook. And then a secret fan group.  I use Twitter more, thanks to the Royals. And Instagram, because my favorite Royal--along with Lorenzo Cain is Salvador Perez.

My family wants a beach vacation near San Diego. I think...maybe we can take in a Padres game? Wonder who they might be playing--oh heck. It's the All-Star Break!!!

My love of baseball is ingrained, though and thanks to the Royals, it's become an active, rather than passive part of my life.

For your enjoyment, here is a video that begins with the 1985 World Series and continues through the amazing Playoffs in 2014:

https://youtu.be/WCwxuOKRO78

No comments: