Monday, April 02, 2012

Dear Abby: Promoting Eating Disorders?

I'm linking to today's Dear Abby column. I find the second letter very disturbing. In it a father writes about his healthy, active 15-year old daughter. She's 5'6" and weighs 160 pounds.
For what it's worth, the Kansas City Star printed an edited version that left out the father saying the mother was buying the daughter too tight clothes and that you could "see the rolls of fat."

I know it's difficult for parents, but there's more and more evidence that eating disorders start early. I remember being 15, 5'6" and weighing about 160 pounds. The message from my family, "You'd be so pretty if you lost weight."
What did I do? Lose weight.
Then gain it back.
Then lose.
Then gain.
All throughout my teen years. And beyond.
I look at pictures of myself from those days and I see a healthy, active 15-year old. Why were my parents telling me I was fat and it was unattractive?

1 comment:

Bob said...

The link to the "Dear Abby" column takes me to different letters than described in your post. I thought you'd like to know.

Sounds to me like the daughter has two people working against her: Mom & Dad. Her mother buys her too small clothing and her father sees rolls of fat. Kind of a no win situation for a teenage girl if she doesn't have a good sense of herself. We can only hope.

What was "Abby's" advice to the father?