Monday, November 07, 2011

Vera confided in me


My protagonist Vera confided in me last night as I was leaving the KanMoWriCo Write-In. She whispered that she was so afraid that if I told her true story, I would break my own heart in the telling.
No. That's a lie.
What Vera is worried about is that I won't do her story justice. That I won't be able to tell it, only report it. What I am worried about is that I will want to report, but also embellish and then I worry that if I embellish, it's not the truth.

But the truth of it is, it's a novel. It's my novel. Vera's story is my story, and I can tell it any way I want to.

P.S. KanMoWriCo is Kansas City, MO. & Kansas City, KS participants (and environs) of NaNoWriMo. This is not an official NaNoWriMo site, and the content has not been reviewed by National Novel Writing Month. For more information on National Novel Writing Month, visit www.nanowrimo.org.

P.P.S. If you think that a protagonist can NOT whisper in your ear, think again.

4 comments:

Mair said...

yes. they do. been there. they also like to argue with you and pout if you don't tell something the way they want it. if you are LUCKY, they trust you anyway.

sounds like Vera's coming along nicely.

Bob said...

Did you reassure Vera that you will be able to tell her story with emotion and not just report it?

Eri said...

ooh, Bob, thanks for reminding me. I've been sulking all day because Vera is not very forthcoming. Really, I should reassure her.
Of course since it's a NaNo story, she's wondering about all the typos too.

Mair, I hope she trusts me anyway.

Bob said...

Eri, Vera trusts you or she wouldn't be nagging you to tell her story with emotion, not just report it.

Tell her NaNo isn't about typos. It's about telling the story (with heart and soul). Then listen to what she has to say through you.

Sounds like you're doing okay.