Monday, August 01, 2011

What I'm Reading

I have a Barnes & Noble Nook Color and I love it! It's got wifi...but not 3 or 4G, but that's okay. It has me reading more. Best of all, with the Nook, I can download FREE books from the library or Project Gutenberg.
So this is what I'm reading lately:
Cold-Blooded Kindness by Barbara Oakley.Actually I've borrowed my husband's Kindle to read it. And I'm reading it because the subject of the book was someone my spouse was very close to at one time. And she stayed at our house with her now-dead husband. Whom she murdered. So it's an interesting read for a number of reasons.

Also, I'm reading on my Nook: Louise Penny's Fatal Grace, the second in the Armand Gamache series. While I find the lovely town of Three Pines a little too cozy, the twists and turns in the mystery are very intriguing. And the author has such a rich way of describing artwork and poetry as seen by the characters in the book. If only artists could always have such loving attentiveness paid their work!

And I started 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill, which I downloaded from among the library's ebooks. I didn't finish it because...I got scared...and then it was due!

I finished Helen Simonson's Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, which was an actual ink-on-paper book, I checked out from the brick-and-mortar library and returned on time. It was beautifully written, the characters just wonderfully drawn. In some ways it was very familiar: clash of cultures, clash of generations, evil business decisions that threaten a traditional way of life in little British town. But through it all, there is the character of the Major...who just blossomed into three-dimensions. Highly recommended!

And...Gary Taubes's Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It. It's easier to read than his "Good Calories;Bad Calories," that's all I'm saying for now.

Hoc scripsit.

No comments: