Thursday, July 28, 2011

No Library? Know Peace!

It was a little over a year ago that I quit my hyper-responsible job at a public library.
I had been a manager, thinking I was supposed to do that and suffered greatly because I did not do it right.
And I couldn't figure out how to get from there to somewhere where I would be one of those epic, cool, bloggerific librarians.

Well the truth of the matter is, I liked being a librarian. I hated being a manager. I think ultimately it's sad that public libraries have to cull from their MLS/MLIS personnel to staff managerial positions -- as if being a manager is a reward!

I guess it's a reward only to those managerial types. Like most of the administration.

I did not like supervising, writing performance appraisals, having to be so freaking careful about everything I said. And I hated being micromanaged by my supervisor and her supervisor.

I am nowhere near librarianship now and honestly, today I don't care.
Really. The skill set transfers, you know.
I have more time to be my bloggerific own self.
How do I spend my days? I work part-time as a receptionist at my community center. I manage my household and I figure I'm my son's case manager.

And I write. I write poetry and prose. Life is pretty good.

1 comment: