Tuesday, July 26, 2011

How to succeed...

So, I think about what success means.
I used to think it meant: a confident woman in business attire. And not just you know, a knit pantsuit, but something tasteful and tailored.
And carrying a leather briefcase.
Maybe this woman had leather lingerie too. I don't know. It was never me.

Nevertheless, I think about success: aiming for a goal and achieving it. And thus I find this article from the Harvard Business Review blog. I especially like what Halvorson writes here:
5. Focus on getting better, rather than being good. Believing you have the ability to reach your goals is important, but so is believing you can get the ability. Many of us believe that our intelligence, our personality, and our physical aptitudes are fixed — that no matter what we do, we won't improve. As a result, we focus on goals that are all about proving ourselves, rather than developing and acquiring new skills.




It's nice to think that we can develop new skills in life. I'm going to assume I can apply this to my just-blossoming writing career. And you know I'm a writer because I don't want to wear that business suit!

1 comment:

Eri said...

Note to self: time to re-learn HTML...