Friday, October 24, 2008

Middle Name

Obama supporters are adopting Hussein as a middle name, at least informally on places like Facebook.

Now I'm an Obama supporter, but I've never had a middle name. I don't want one now. Is this something like wearing a flag pin? Will I be considered "un-patriotic" if I don't call myself Eri Hussein? You get my drift.

I think it's cute and a cool way for people to recognize each other. A not-so-secret handshake, if you will. That said, I will not add Hussein as a middle name, just for people to recognize me. I think it may be a little insulting to those who are named Hussein by their parents in honor of a relative. According to this article in the NY Times, from way back in June, Obama doesn't mind.
I hope he doesn't mind that I'm not adding a middle name. I like my name the way it is.

No comments: