Monday, July 28, 2008

Autism: It's all about the fans

Box fans, standing fans, table fans, that is.


My son has always been attracted to fans. In fact, that was one of the most "autistic" things about him in his early years. By the age of 2 1/2, he was always noticing fans in windows from great distances. We'd be driving and he'd say quietly, "there's a fan in the window."

I would have no idea what he was talking about until we'd get closer and sure enough, high up on the 6th floor of some apartment building off Main Street, there would be a box fan sitting in a window.

Well, now he's making videos of fans and uploading them to YouTube.

I have to admit, I'm very impressed. He tells all about a particular fan, shows the parts and speaks very clearly and with obvious understanding of his subject.

Now, he's not the only one with fan videos. There are some videos that are from antique fan collectors, but some are from quirky folks like my son. Not every fan enthusiast is autistic, but we do wonder.

I'm glad my son has found a little community online.

No comments: