Sunday, May 25, 2008

My son, the movie lover

Today, the family and I are planning to see the Indiana Jones movie.
It did not get wonderful reviews and I have no idea how my son will take it. He's 17, autistic and into movies with bad language, bathroom humor and nudity.

We told him it would be like the stunt show we saw at Walt Disney World Hollywood Studios. He said, "Cool."

He's reading right now, a book he'd read back in third grade. He said it's easy (it's a level 1 reader) and I wonder why he's reading it. He often does things that match what might have been done in a certain year. If the dates and days of the week correspond to the dates and days in bygone times, that's what sets him on his current course.

He's not stuck in the past, just exploring it.

Anyway with movies, when we took him to see a Star Wars movie (the one with Jar Jar Binks), he kept grabbing my arm, pressing the light-up button on my watch, wailing quietly, "it'll be over soon!"
Our hope was that he'd absorb some stuff for socialization on the playground. Oh well.

He was getting past certain babyish movies, not fully out of Disney animation (well, who is these days, Pixar rocks!), but We, the Grown Ups were starting to get tired of them.

Later that summer we all went to see "Austin Powers, The Spy Who Shagged Me," and it was an eye opener. One friend criticized me for taking my little wee son to a movie with suggestive and somewhat bawdy humor and the occasional bad word. I thought she was nuts for taking her kids to see movies with more violence in them.

Anyway, it was one of my son's favorite movies. I think he got it into his template: "good movies=nudity, grossness, bad words and mom & dad laughing their heads off"

No comments: