Monday, August 06, 2007

The Errors of My Ways

I've been looking at a book by Ruth King. Looking at = reading it in bits and pieces. It's called The Ugly Truth About Managing People. I guess Management isn't exactly what I'd hoped or expected. In some ways, it is: I get to be a go-to person when things go wrong or need some adjustment.

In some ways, being the go-to person or the adjuster isn't all it's cracked up to be. For instance, I got called out on the 4th of July because our alarm went off and the police were in the building.

I've had to deal with some sensitive personnel issues. I've had to see how I was making grave errors and hope that I can work on changing the aspects of myself that will easily fall into these errors.

I am watchful and this watchfulness robs me of the joy I got in the spontaneity of library life. It's always something different in a public library and I like that. I am for the most part a positive person, but this stuff sent me into an emotional tailspin.

So I wonder, are there any other managers out there who've done what I have and what did they do to make it better for themselves? Or am I in the wrong place? Do I need more time just at the desk, not being too responsible?

It's past my 6 month probationary period, and there's a lot of good, so I'm staying put for now, but I wonder, wonder, wonder...

No comments: