Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Tell Me Something New

Changing role of librarians? From the Wall Street Journal.

Been there, done that.

I am almost at the end of my MLS program. The very first day, it got hammered into our heads that we're in transit, we're in flux, we need to be nimble. We think outside the bun.

What is sobering about this article--another thing I've been hearing about for the past 4.5 years (yes, it's taking me this long!)(that's another post down the road)is that the librarian(the be-bunned one) population is aging and retiring and there may not be enough skilled fresh new librarians to fill their shoes.

Do the powers-that-employ expect us to have the same appearance, attitude and skill set as the ones who are retiring?
See,the sensible shoes are changing too.

This I think reflects reality a bit more:
Talk of a shortage doesn't worry many veteran librarians, who remember similar predictions in the late 1960s and early 1970s -- followed by a glut of job candidates a few years later. As new information-retrieval systems simplify tasks and government budgets tighten, growth in the profession may be slower, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Quarterly.


I'm currently applying for jobs again--just within my library system. Being 3 credit hours away from the degree (and I'm registered and have paid for them already!)it's just making me think of possibilities.

I'm relatively young in my profession, but relatively old next to the average MLS program graduate. I hope that doesn't count against me. I think I've posted before about this, but I also think my age and life experience should count for something.

Even if I don't IM my friends every night. And I'm still catching up on pop culture icons like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Okay, I'll quit kvetching. I sure don't miss card catalogs. My hair's cut too short for bunnage. And I don't know what I'd do without the Internet.

No comments: