Sunday, November 06, 2005

Grilled Cheese

I may have a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch.

I don't add mustard. Ketchup would be unpalatable for me. As for H&P sauce, well, I have no idea what that tastes like, so, nope. Not gonna do it.

I like my grilled cheese plain and redolent with butter. I soften the butter in the microwave, smear one side of one piece of bread first. The slices of cheese are lying on top of the other slice of bread. Then I toss the sandwich buttered side down onto a hot skillet. At that point, I butter the side that's on top. And in a few moments, it's ready to turn.

And soon it's done. Oh why am I not hungry for lunch right now!!!

Now as for cheeses, I have to admit that a sharp or medium cheddar or even American cheese (not cheese-food, though) work best for me. I have a hard time with cheese that melts and gets stringy like mozzarella or even swiss.

Grilled cheese is excellent when accompanied by a lovely tomato soup. Campbells is okay, traditional comfort fare, but the Pacific brand--found in Wild Oats or Whole Foods--now that is ambrosia!

Unless you make your own exquisite tomato soup.

Or chili. That'd be good. Kosher dill pickles on the side.

Yes.

My mouth is watering.

1 comment:

calgal said...

I love grilled cheese, but eating low carb, I have yet to find a bread that really works for it. Without the right bread, it just isn't worth it to me.

If I have advance knowlege, the day before I die I will eat many, many grilled cheese sandwiches--all on olive bread I make myself.

No, some would be on pumpernickel bread I make myself.

Or maybe some leek and rosemary bread.

-sigh-