Friday, October 21, 2005

Pencil Revolution and My Compulsive Nature


There’s The Pencil Revolution , a wonderful blog about…pencils and other somewhat anachronistic writing implements.

I have to admit, I love pencils. I have a thing about pens, too, but I rarely write by hand lately. One thing, I started doing these silly word puzzles in the newspaper and I’ll admit that I’m very compulsive about them.

I use a sharp pencil. I prefer a point that doesn’t blur. A #2 Dixon Ticonderoga would be perfect, for example but some of the cheaper pencils around today have lead that is too soft. After making sure my pencil is sharp, I get a piece of colored scrap paper, about the size of a 3” x 5” index card that I have for this purpose (and for grocery lists).

Whatever the word is, I write it in caps at the top of the scrap—which I hold horizontally, I write down the number of words (4 letters or more) I’m supposed to be able to get out of it. I draw a line underneath it. Then, in the space between the line and the top of the paper, I write, as small as I possibly can,the letters of the word in alphabetical order.

Then underneath the line, in columns for each letter in the word, I start my lists of words that I can make. My spouse and I used to do this together and compare our lists and fill in what each of us missed. Lately, it’s my thing alone.

See, compulsive—and I can’t do it in ink!!!

3 comments:

calgal said...

I almost never write by hand anymore. I don't think Ron would even recognize my handwriting.

It's not just that it is so unnecessary, but I learned a long time ago that the physical act of writing interfered with my ability to think in a way that typing just doesn't.

Even in my pre-computer days, I did almost everything that required creativity or was designed to be used in an academic setting on a keyboard.

How weird is that?

vicki

Clinton P. Desveaux said...

Saw your a Torme fan! So am I!!

Anyways, thought you might like to read one of my Mel Torme's reviews at my blog.

Cheers
Clinton

Clinton P. Desveaux said...

Here is the link! I forgot

http://clintondesveaux.blogspot.com/2005/10/right-now.html