Monday, September 26, 2005

On the radio, part one


I meant to write some stuff going on with Osc. We got him a small karaoke machine for his birthday (many months ago) and lately he's been using it to pretend he's a DJ. He announces :"This is AKUL [we've told him that in the US, west of the Mississippi radio station call letters begin with K, but he's marching to his own beat] in Kansas City, Missouri: the greatest hits of the '80s." (we have a couple of CD labeled 1980's New Wave Hits).

He announces what songs have been played, tells us what's up next and then makes up some kind of commercial announcement like,"This program was brought to you with the help of Price Chopper, the best place to shop for groceries!"

Sometimes he'll use a promo from one of my old air (cable) checks. I did some radio programming for an all-volunteer campus/community alternative cable radio station in Bloomington, Indiana, WQAX. And indeed, that was back in the 80s and I had tons of fun doing it. And some angst.

Much of the angst was because I was not your grunge/punk new music scene follower in Bloomington. Nor was I into "college" radio (Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, Meat Puppets, Butthole Surfers...etc). I got to know the music gradually, but also immersed myself in jazz, blues, folk, world...and quirky music. If there was an interesting cover of a standard rock song, I'd play it and I collected disco versions of stuff like "Stairway to Heaven," and "In A Gadda Da Vida." I kid you not. They do exist. Wonder if they've got digital editions now...

Anyway, it's lovely to see Oscar being a chip off the old block, doing radio shows.

I really love radio. If I weren't a librarian, I'd be in radio. I think. Maybe.

2 comments:

calgal said...

One of the things I really missed when I moved to Canada was NPR. I used to have it on all day long. Now I can listen over the net,but it somehow isn't the same as listening to my local NPR station.

vicki

So FL Gal said...

Vicki, Bush cut funding to NPR and PBS as part of his budget cuts to justify spending in Iraq.

My favorite radio station, too!

Lynne