Thursday, September 08, 2005

The evacuees are coming...maybe

My neighborhood school was closed in May of 2003 and out little city bought it from the school district. I've hear from a neighbor (and later the TV news, which I never watch), that it will be home to 150 to 180 people who have left the Gulf area.

I'm excited, actually, hoping there are opportunities to be helpful. I think in general my neighbors and I feel positive about this, but there are a couple of things to consider:

If it's a FEMA-run site, there may be such tight controls, we might not come into contact with any of the folks being housed there at all. We might not be able to be helpful. I've read a blog in which the author describes having her donations of fresh food get turned away, because there wasn't enough, it wouldn't be fair and people might riot. Sorry, I don't have the link.

Don't know if there will be kids. Will they go to school in the district? I hope so. We have a good district.

Wonder how I can help.

No comments: